The Office of Legal Services provides a full array of legal services to the Office of Chief Justice, judges, circuit court clerks and AOC management. The legal staff advises on a wide variety of issues including personnel law, contracts and legislation.
The attorneys of the Office of Legal Services are prohibited by statute (KRS 27A.050) from giving legal advice to the general public and from practicing law in state courts.
Areas of Responsibility
- Arrange legal representation for judges and circuit court clerks.
- Draft and review personal service contracts, requests for proposals and memoranda of agreements and understanding.
- Provide legal counsel for the Department for Facilities relating to leasing and constructing court facilities, per the Rules of Administrative Procedure Part X, Real Property Management Guide.
- Write and revise the Circuit Court Clerk Manual, pursuant to Supreme Court Rules CR 1(2), RCr 1.02(2) and SCR 1.050(1).
- Track legislation pertaining to the court system.
- Design and revise legal forms for the Court of Justice.
- Review protocols for domestic violence and felony and misdemeanor diversion.
- Draft revisions to court rules and administrative procedures. Represent Court of Justice interests on various boards, work groups, task forces and commissions.
- Revise judicial bench books.
- Administer the Kentucky Circuit Court Clerk Exam.