The statewide court case management system for the Judicial Branch has put Kentucky on the cutting edge of court technology nationwide. Unlike states that maintain court data on a county-by-county basis, the Administrative Office of the Courts collects data from every county in Kentucky.
The AOC Department of Information and Technology Services created KyCourts, the case management system for the trial courts, and CourtNet, which provides a summary of cases statewide.
The department has also implemented a statewide e-mail system, launched the Kentucky Court of Justice Web site, automated the jury management process, created a bookkeeping program for circuit court clerks and produced a platform for the e-Citation program. The department has written programs for the appellate courts and created data management systems for pretrial services, human resources and the Citizen Foster Care Review Boards.
The Department of Information & Technology Services also oversees:
- Digital audio recording equipment for District Court proceedings
- Digital video recording equipment for Circuit Court proceedings
- Video arraignment systems for communication between courtrooms and jails/other facilities
- Court facility security systems, including panic alarms, door access monitors and metal detectors
- Data services support for networks, computers, printers and software
- Telecommunications equipment