Susan Stokley Clary is the Clerk of the Supreme Court of Kentucky. She also serves as Court Administrator and General Counsel for the Court. Susan received a B.A. degree in 1978 from the University of Kentucky and a JD from U.K. College of Law in 1981. Prior to her appointment as Clerk in 1995, she served the Court as Law Clerk to Justice James B. Stephenson, Administrative Assistant to Chief Justice Robert F. Stephens, and established the statewide juvenile intake and diversion program as General Manager of Juvenile Services.
Susan serves as a member of the Supreme Court Rules Committee, the Family Court Rules Committee, the Civil Rules Committee, the Appellate Rules Committee, and as a member of the Technology Governance Committee. She served as a charter member of the Legislature’s Capital Planning Commission, the Public Advocacy Commission and Leadership Kentucky. She has taught family law and juvenile law at Midway College and co-authored a book on Kentucky’s Juvenile Law. In August 2009, Susan was installed as President of the National Conference of Appellate Court Clerks. She served on the Board and as Chair of the Resolutions and Memorials Committee, Nominations Committee, and Strategic Planning Committee of the NCACC and as a committee member on the Program, the Finance and Investment, Technology, Site Selection and the Alternative Funding Committees. She was the 2010 recipient of the Professional Achievement Alumni Award, University of Kentucky College of Law.
She and her son, Nicholas, live in Lexington, Kentucky.
- J.D., University of Kentucky, 1981
- B.A., University of Kentucky, 1978, Summa cum laude in Political Science and Sociology, Phi Beta Kappa, Omicron Delta Kappa.
- March, 1995, to date: Clerk of Supreme Court of Kentucky
- October, 1983, to date: General Counsel, Supreme Court of Kentucky.
- November, 1988, to date: Court Administrator, Supreme Court of Kentucky.
- July, 1986, to October, 1988: General Manager, Juvenile Services, Administrative Office of the Courts. Developed and implemented statewide program of Court Designated Worker, in compliance with Kentucky's Unified Juvenile Code.
- October, 1982, to September, 1983: Administrative Assistant to Chief Justice Robert F. Stephens, Supreme Court of Kentucky.
- August, 1981, to September, 1982: Law Clerk for Justice James B. Stephenson, 7th Supreme Court District, Supreme Court of Kentucky.
- January, 1981, to May, 1981: Legal Intern for U. S. Magistrate James F. Cook, E. D. Ky.
- Admitted to practice: Supreme Court of the United States; United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit; United States District Court, E.D. Ky.; and Commonwealth of Kentucky.
- Co-Author, Stokley-Clary and Isaacs, Kentucky Juvenile Law, 1991.
- Reporter of Judicial Decisions for Kentucky, 1988 to date.
- Contributor, The Docket of the National Conference of Appellate Court Clerks and The Kentucky Bar Association’s Bench and Bar Magazine, Annual and District Bar Meetings.
- Editor, Supreme Court of Kentucky Rules’ Amendments, 1988 to date.
- Court Designated Worker Manual, Administrative Office of the Courts, Commonwealth of Kentucky.
Organizations & Activities
- President, National Conference of Appellate Court Clerks, 2009-2010.
- President-Elect, 2008-2009.
- Vice President, 2007-2008.
- Board Member, 2008-2011, 2003-2005.
- Nominating Committee to date.
- Chair, Strategic Planning Committee, 2006-2007.
- Executive Committee Liaison to the Program Committee, 2003-2004.
- Chair, Nominations Committee, 2002-2003.
- Chair, Memorials and Resolutions Committee, and Member, Program Committee, Finance Committee and Alternative Funding Committee, 2001-2002.
- Member, Civil Rules Committee of the Supreme Court of Kentucky, 1995 to date. Member, Appellate Rules Subcommittee.
- Member, Supreme Court Rules Committee, 2006 to date.
- Member, Family Court Rules Committee, 2010 to date.
- Member, Kentucky Court of Justice, Technology Governance Committee, 2010 to date.
- Court Liaison, Office of Bar Admissions-Board of Bar Examiners and Character and Fitness Committee, 1982 to date.
- Presenter, United States Department of States’ International Visitor Leadership Program, World Affairs Council of Kentucky and Southern Indiana, 2010 to date.
- Charter Member, Leadership Kentucky, 1985. Co-chair, Government Session, 2003; Co-chair, Law and Justice Sessions, 1988 through 1990; Panelist, 1985, 1988. Leadership Kentucky Foundation. Project 21, Kentucky Chamber of Commerce. Georgetown College Mentorship Program.
- Member, Graduate Kentucky Coalition, 2008 to date.
- Member, National Association of Reporters of Judicial Decisions, 1989 to date.
- Member, The Juvenile Court Centennial Project Planning Committee, 2005-2006
- Member, Kentucky Bar Association’s Committee on Child Protection and Domestic Violence, 1989 to date.
- Member, Criminal Justice Council, Capital Litigation Committee, 2001 - 2003. Kentucky Crime Commission, Vice-Chair, Subcommittee on Juvenile Justice and Long-Range Planning Commission on Juvenile Detention, 1992-1993. Chair, Administrative Office of the Courts-Juvenile Services Roundtable, 1986 through 1989.
- Implemented State Law Day Ceremony, 1990, and Coordinator, to date. Presenter of Law Related Education Awards and Civic Awards. Judge, We the People, High School State Competition.
- Member, Kentucky Capital Planning Advisory Board, 1990 to 2002.
- Member, Kentucky Public Advocacy Commission, 1983 to 2002.
- Member, Commission on Guardians ad Litem, 1999-2000.
- Chair, Joint Task Force on Domestic Violence-Report to the Governor, the Attorney General and the Chief Justice, 1995. Member, Gender Fairness in the Courts Monitoring Committee.
- Member, Advisory Council, Paralegal Studies, Midway College, 1990 to 1996. Adjunct Professor, Family Law-1994, Juvenile Law-1995.
- Implemented and Coordinated First Statewide Testing of Circuit Clerks, Commonwealth of Kentucky.
- State Coordinator, 1998 and 1985 Annual Conventions, The Conference of Chief Justices and The Conference of State Court Administrators; Staff, Federal-State Relations Committee, The Conference of Chief Justices.
- Member, Steering Committee, 1985 NCAA Lexington Host Committee.
- President’s Special Service Award, Kentucky Bar Association, 2012
- Professional Achievement Alumni Award, University of Kentucky College of Law, 2010
- Certificate of Appreciation for Distinguished Services, National Conference of Appellate Court Clerks, 2010
- The Children’s Law Center-1999
- The Chief Justice’s Special Service Award-1997
- The Kentucky Association of Circuit Clerks-1996
- The Kentucky Commission on Women-1995
- Juvenile Services, Court Designated Worker Program-1988,1992,1994,1997
- Lexington Futbol Club, 96 Boys Classic, Treasurer
- Leadership Board, Community Montessori School Boy Scouts, Pack 95.
- Kentucky State Capitol Centennial Commission, Capitol Centennial Legacy Project, 2009-2010.
- Co-Chair, Major Gifts Committee, Capital Campaign, Community Montessori School, 2004. Art Show Chair, Community Montessori School - Celebration for Education Fundraiser, 2003.
- Board Member, Lexington Ballet, 1992 to 1998.
- Member, Central Christian Church. Chair, Board of Deacons, and Member, Executive Committee and Administrative Board, 1988 to 1990. Deacon, Member of the Social Issues Committee, and Member of the Board of Directors of the Adult Day Care Center.
Clerk of Supreme Court of Kentucky
Supreme Court Administrator
- Oversee and monitor case filing, case management, case assignment and scheduling
- Reporter of decisions for Supreme Court of Kentucky
- Motion panel and all procedural motions
- Coordinate all motions for emergency relief
- Approve orders for supplies, furniture, etc.
- Prepare yearly case outline, speeches, opinions and orders
- Review all local rules tendered for Chief Justice, approval and compile rule changes for rules of Supreme Court of Kentucky
- Staff all committees established by the Chief Justice or by other appointment
- Legislative liaison for Chief Justice, Judges, and Clerks budget and judiciary committees
- Plan and coordinate Law Day, Court road trips, Court investitures, other ceremonies and social activities
- Hiring of staff and approval of staff time sheets
- Court liaison with AOC, KBA, Board of Bar Examiners, Character and Fitness Committee, Gender Fairness in the Courts Committee
- Court liaison with the press
- Provide counsel to judges, circuit clerks, attorneys as requested